The Cupid that is iconic Candies in Oak Lawn, a landmark on Chicago’s Southern Side, will shut after 64 wonderful years on Sunday, Sept. 27.
By Lorraine Swanson , Patch Staff
OAK LAWN, IL вЂ” Say it ain’t therefore! Cupid sweets will shut after 64 years on 95th Street in Oak Lawn. One of several final for the iconic old-line candy shops in the Southern Side, Cupid Candies, 4709 95th St., will close its doorways on Sunday.
Cupid Candies had been launched in 1936 by the Paul that is late Stefanos. Their cousin, Leo, would carry on to invent the Dove bar. The store that is first at 79th Street and Ashland Avenue in the Southern Side, where just fudge, toffee and popcorn had been offered. By 1940, Paul along with his spouse, Pauline, exposed another shop at 3207 W. 63rd St., along side a little manufacturing facility, in accordance with the organization’s web site.
The household proceeded to cultivate Cupid Candies, relocating 1943 to 3143 W. St that is 63rd Chicago.
The organization expanded once more in 1956 with a brand new plant at 7637 S. Western Ave., where in fact the candy factory nevertheless runs today.
The family-owned and operated Cupid Candies produced quality chocolates, pea nuts, sweets and frozen dessert from the factory on Western Avenue in Gresham. The founder that is late son, John Stefanos, may be the business president.
Visiting the Oak Lawn shop on Thursday afternoon, the racks were still well stocked with the hand-dipped, classic candy lines, such as for instance Turks вЂ” sharp pecans and soft caramel groups dipped in milk chocolate вЂ” so called as the title Turtles had been trademarked, and cream and butter fudge made daily. It had been scarcely the “everything must go” liquidation scavenging we have grown familiar with.
Under cup had been rows of chocolate ointments of all of the varieties, chewy facilities, nut groups and confections, each having its very own distinctive swirl at the top. A worker was opening boxes of big, red strawberries inside the ice cream parlor.
Since 1956, the Oak Lawn Cupid Candies вЂ” using its conventional frozen dessert parlor and soda water fountain вЂ” had been where you stopped by to select up a package of Turks to create to your North Side family relations on xmas, or enjoyed a sundae and a malted after a film in the Coral Theatre.
The Orland Park shop, at 9420 W. 143rd St., will continue to be available, because will the Cupid sweets factory on Western Avenue within the Southern Side Gresham neighbor hood.
Stephanie Hart, the property owner and discovered of Brown glucose Bakery in Chicago, bought out of the historic candy that is 84-year-old on Western Avenue in June. Her Brown glucose bakery is a popular destination for black colored meals tradition within the town.
Hearing that John Stefanos ended up being interested in a buyer, Hart bought the Cupid sweets factory for $500,000, utilizing a grant she received through the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic chance, BlackBusiness com reported.
Hart additionally acquired the liberties to Cupid Candies’ brand and items. Plans are to mix the 2 brands together.
Relating to BlackBusiness com, the 20-plus workers for the candy business will always be on to make most of the ice cream and chocolate services and products of Cupid sweets and cakes of Brown glucose Bakery.
But not because cool as relaxing across the soft drink water water fountain for a summer that is hot, fans will remain single muslim man usa able to purchase a common Cupid Candies online. The Cupid sweets tradition will stay making use of their secret that is original family, designed to use just the best, premium ingredients.
If you’d like to have sundae for supper or get that Christmas time package of Turks, Cupid Candies are open from noon to 8 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 25 to Sept. 27.
MODIFICATION: The company reached off to Patch to allow us realize that the Orland Park shop at 9420 W. St that is 143rd stay available. Nice thing about it.